For more information about Israel360, please click here
Dr. Yael Ziegler is a senior lecturer in Tanakh at Herzog College and Matan. She received her BA from Stern College and an MA and Ph.D. at Bar Ilan University. Dr. Ziegler has lectured widely on various Tanakh topics in Israel, the United States, South Africa, Australia, and Europe. Dr. Ziegler is the author of “Promises to Keep: The Oath in Biblical Narrative” and “Ruth: From Alienation to Monarchy,” which has also been published in Hebrew: “רות: מניכור למלוכה” Her forthcoming book on Megillat Eikha is scheduled for publication in 2020. She lives in Alon Shvut, Israel, with her husband and their five children.
Field / Profession: Educator
Educator at: Midrasha, Academic
Speaking Topics: Torah
Sample Topics - General:
• Of Pharaohs and Kings: Ancient Egypt and Yetziat Mitzrayim
• Paradise Regained: The Return to Gan Eden in Shir Hashirim
• Journeys, Wells and Marriages: Hidden patterns in Tanakh Stories
• The Two Deaths of King Saul: Portrait of the First King
• Elijah: Prophet of Penitence or Prophet of Doom?
• Shimshon and David: Mirror Images of Passion and Restraint
• "Ashrei" (Mizmor 145): Two Ways to Praise God
• Ten Plagues on Pharaoh’s House: Making Sense of the Makkot
• Recognizing God: Yitro, Amalek and Yetziat Mitzrayim”
• Power, Politics, and the Meaning of Life: A Fresh Reading of Megillat Esther
• Ruth: From Alienation to Monarchy
• Yoseph, Esther and the House of Rachel: Is Beauty Vain?
• Who is Yitro, Priest of Midian?
• What Can we Learn From a Witch? Toil, Trouble and the Witch of Endor (I Samuel 28)
• Rejecting Avraham’s Path: The Failure of the Period of the Judges
• “A Calamity Upon Your House!”: The Betrayal of David’s Sons
• Mi Anochi? Why Is Moshe Chosen To Take the Nation Out of Egypt?
• Of Zealousness and Mercy: Moshe and Eliyahu on Har Chorev
• Chana: The Revolutionary Power of Prayer
• Does the Book of Tehillim Tell a Story?
• Paradise Regained: Gan Eden, the Mishkan, and the Mikdash
• What's In a Name? Ruth and the Anonymous Concubine of Gibeah
• The Importance of Good Choices: How Ruth Corrects Lot’s Mistakes
• King Shelomo and the Return to Egypt: The Secret of Successful Kingship
• After the Quake: Teshuva and the End of Days
• Jehu, Zealotry and the Berit Shalom
• Where are the Mothers? The Story of Devora, Yael and Sisera’s Mother
• King Josiah: A Great Life and an Untimely Death
• The Lottery, the Goats and Avraham’s Sons: Biblical Readings for the Days of Awe
• Barren Women in the Bible: Patterns in Tanakh Stories
• The Structure of Sefer BiMidbar and its Impact on the Book of Joshua
• The Tribes and their Configurations: Why Does it Matter Where the Tribes are Placed in the Land?
• Structure and Meaning in the Book of Judges
• Jephtah and Samuel: The Power of Words
• Manoach’s Wife and the Birth of Samson
• Comfort, Rehabilitation and Rejuvenation: Eikhah Rabba
• How does Megillat Ruth Provide the Solution for the Book of Judges?
• King David: Poetry, Passion and Politics
• Reflecting the Sun: The Transition from Moshe to Yehoshua
• Psalm 27: Is God Close or Far?
• The Importance of Good Choices: How Ruth Connects Lot's Mistakes
• The Theology of the Book of Eikhah: Of Absurdity and Meaning
• Things Fall Apart: What Goes Wrong in the Book of Judges?
• David, Saul, and Goliath: The Secret of David's Success
• Shirat Hayam: The Triumphant Song of the Sea
Links to sample audio or videos:
Languages: English, Hebrew
Click here to request this speaker