Rabbi Alex Israel is an author, Tanakh teacher and international lecturer. He teaches at Yeshivat Eretz Hatzvi and Midreshet Lindenbaum.
Born and raised in London, Rabbi Israel moved to Israel in 1991 and gained rabbinic ordination from the Israeli Chief Rabbinate following several years of study at Yeshivat Har Etzion and holds degrees from London School of Economics, the Institute of Education, London, and Bar Ilan University.
His first book “I Kings – Torn in Two” was published in 2013.
See his shiurim and his new weekly “Parsha Discussion” designed to foster discussion at the Shabbat table, at www.alexisrael.org.
Rabbi Israel has lectured widely at campuses and communities on five continents. He lives in Alon Shevut, Gush Etzion, with his wife Aliza, and their four wonderful children.
Field / Profession: Educator
Educator at: Yeshiva, Other
Speaking Topics: Torah, Israel, Eretz Yisrael, Campus/Students
Sample Topics - General:
1. Sefer Bereshit
a. The Transformation of Esav and Yaakov
b. Rachel and Leah. Sibling Rivalry and Jewish Unity
c. Yehudah, Tamar, and Contemporary Culture
d. Jewish Power and its Dangers
e. Did Isaac Marry a 3-Year-Old? Understanding Peshat and Drash
f. Did Yaakov Cheat his Father? - 3 Approaches to Reading Tanakh
I have many other topics on all of Humash, megillot, and other books of Tanakh.
2. Halakha is the Solution; Halakha Is the Problem: A 2500-year Journey of Spiritual Evolution
3. What Comes Before Matan Torah? - Yitro
4. The Curious Biography of Moshe Rabbeinu
5. The Rise and Fall of Solomon
6. Hubris, Humility and the Distortion of Religion.
7. Tachanun. The Most powerful Prayer
Sample Topics - Israel Related:
1. The Challenge of Jewish Unity from Tanakh to today
2. Shimon, Levi, and the Challenge of Jewish Power
3. Who made the desert bloom? - Yitzchak Avinu, or Ben Gurion?
4. Is the Garden of Eden in Eretz Yisrael? Where?
5. Ethics of War and Peace in Sefer Devarim
6. Are we waiting for Mashiach or is Mashiach waiting for us?
7. Why are we saying Hallel on Yom Haatzmaut?
8. Religious and Secular in Israel. Room for Optimism?
9. Betzalel, Rav Kook, and the Importance of Jewish Creativity
10. Holy Land. Mystical and Rational
11. Why is Vayikra the most Zionist book in Humash?
12. Will the Temple come from Heaven? The Importance of a Gradual Redemption
Links to sample audio or videos:
See classes on the first 25 chapters of Bereshit on Tanachstudy.com, or my podcasts on KMTT - Har Etzion's online podcasts.
Personal website: http://www.alexisrael.org/
Languages: English, HebrewMizrachi discount available for this speaker!
Click here to request this speaker