Rabbi Johnny Solomon has a BSc (Hons) in Math & Religious Studies, an MA in Jewish Education, and Semicha from the Montefiore Kollel (London), and he is a graduate of the Lookstein Fellowships for Senior Jewish Educators, the Shalom Hartman Tichon Programme for Senior Jewish Educators and the Ashdown Fellowships for Senior Jewish Educators. While in London, Johnny held numerous senior positions including Head of Judaic Studies at Immanuel College and Head of Judaic Studies at Hasmonean Girls’ School. In 2012 Rav Johnny made aliya with his family, and he divides his time between teaching Halacha & Jewish Philosophy at Midreshet Lindenbaum and Matan, editing Jewish scholarly books for Mosaica Press, serving as the Educational Director of Zehud (an online school for Jewish children in Europe), writing curricula for schools around the world, writing Torah content (including a daily Daf Yomi insight), and working as a Virtual Rabbi providing spiritual coaching, halachic consultations and one-to-one learning to men and women around the world. Beyond this, Rav Johnny is the posek to his local shul, he is a board member of Chochmat Nashim, and his is a contributor to the RZ Weekly podcast.
Field / Profession: Educator, Community/Synagogue Rabbi, Leadership & Motivation
Educator at: Midrasha, Other
Recent Places Spoken/Recommendations:
Bushey United Synagogue (Scholar-in-residence, Shavuot 2018) - Rabbi Elchonon Feldman
Matan, Jerusalem (Summer Programme 2017, 2018) - Shulie Mishkin
Yeshivat HaKotel Leadership Programme (Shabbatonim & Events) - Rabbi Ari Cutler
Speaking Topics: Torah, Israel, Community, Eretz Yisrael, Inspirational, Mussar/Character Development, Jewish Education, Family Education, Halacha & the Modern World
Sample Topics - General:
• Bereishit – The ultimate halachic question
• What custom should you follow when you were brought up without customs?
• Rupture, Reconstruction & Modern Attitudes to Halacha
• Trends in Contemporary Modern Orthodox Responsa
• Ethiopian Jewish Law & the Shulchan Aruch
• Fate Or Faith? Philosophical reflections on modern conversion controversies
• The laws and meaning of the Shehecheyanu bracha
• Responsa & Rabbinic decision-making in our digital, post-modern, world.
• What internet responsa teach us about changes in the modern Jewish world
• Chief Rabbis, Church Services & Royal Weddings
• Should Jews be promoting moral behaviour to non-Jews?
• The Prohibition of Hukat HaGoy and the use of Flowers at a Jewish Funeral Service
• The 13 Principles of Prayer (including short movie)
• Chizuk: What is it? And why do we all need it?
• Is there a mitzvah of Chinuch, and if so, does it ever end?
• Jewish Educational Perspectives on Teaching National Tragedies
• Compromise and Frustration in the Jewish Studies Classroom
• I am just a melamed – The role of a teacher in the thought of Rav Soloveitchik
• How to write an Ethical will and why every parent should
• The ‘stickiness factor’: Six principles to turn great ideas into memorable teaching moments
• Helping our children & students negotiate the challenges and opportunities afforded by smartphone technology
Sample Topics - Israel Related:
• Nusach Achid and Am Echad – The story of Rabbi Shlomo Goren and his attempt to unify Jewish liturgy
• Rav Goren, Rav Herzog and why the IDF does not use the Biblically sanctioned ‘War Get’?
• The halachic ruling that fractured the Modern State of Israel
• The blessing on new communities in Israel
• The Menorah as the symbol of the Modern State of Israel
Links to sample audio or videos:
Youtube The Meaning of the Modeh Ani - https://youtu.be/aqRXYHHxRrs The Meaning of the word Shema - https://youtu.be/OGACO8ZM7y0 Shehecheyanu - https://youtu.be/IHnZZBxSdm8 Tribute to Rabbi Sacks (Faith is a Marriage) - https://youtu.be/viX3q7ZakWg Tribute to Rabbi Sacks (LSJS) - https://youtu.be/SHp-v1iQd7w Daf Yomi Pesachim Siyum video - https://youtu.be/5OpQybwBO8Q YUTorah Heartfelt Brachot - https://www.yutorah.org/sidebar/lecture.cfm/952785/rabbi-jonny-solomon/heartfelt-brachot-part-1/ Why do we keep Shemittah - https://www.yutorah.org/sidebar/lecture.cfm/804625/rabbi-jonny-solomon/why-do-we-keep-shemitah-/ The Loss of a Teacher - https://www.yutorah.org/sidebar/lecture.cfm/835643/rabbi-jonny-solomon/-the-loss-of-a-teacher-is-like-the-giving-of-the-torah-thought-about-lag-b-omer-and-the-passing-of-gedolim/ The Relationship between Megillah and Hallel - https://www.yutorah.org/sidebar/lecture.cfm/790428/rabbi-jonny-solomon/the-relationship-between-megillah-and-hallel/
Personal website: rabbijohnnysolomon.com
Languages: English, HebrewMizrachi discount available for this speaker!
Click here to request this speaker